Sunday, January 29, 2012

Restoration Hardware Knock Off- “Metal” Chest

Years ago I bought a small chest.  Although I liked it and used it in my living room, I was willing to donate it to the cause of the teenage room redo.  It needed that industrial vintage look we are going for.  I like the chests at Restoration Hardware that are very expensive so I thought I would simulate that look. 

image

Here’s my version.

IMG_6846

IMG_6844

It seems a bit more silver in the photos because the light reflects off of it. 

Here is the before.

IMG_6829

IMG_6830

I liked the leather edges and strap and the brass latch.  I taped them off so that part wouldn’t get spray painted.  I wiped Vaseline onto the curved parts of the latch so the paint wouldn’t stick to it.  It worked like a charm.

IMG_6831

It was really bright after I sprayed it with the aluminum paint.

IMG_6836

The black glaze I used on the blocks helped tone it down.

IMG_6840

IMG_6863

IMG_6850

IMG_6862_edited-1

It might not be exactly like the Restoration Hardware boxes, but it does look metal and paint definitely transformed the chest. 

sig

Linking to

I Heart Craftastic @ Sew Can Do

Meet Me Monday @ You’re Talking Too Much

Sunday Showcase @ Under the Table and Dreaming

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails